Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lydia's Eye Surgery: The Finale (I hope!)


Lydia had the full Crawford Tube surgery on her eye today and I'm so glad that part's over with! I don't think I've been the best at updating my blog about this. But prior to this surgery, Lydia has had two probings done on her eye to try to unblock her tear duct so that her tears can drain properly. About 90% of the time the eyes heal without needing any intervention. And, each time the probings were done there was a 90% chance of being successful. However, Lydia just didn't seem to have the majority on her side. So, it came down to needing the full surgery on her eye. This basically means that they have to put her under general anesthesia so that they can then put a tube in her tear duct to hold it open till the tear duct is able to heal and stay open on its own. Then, in a few months we will go to the doctor's office again and have the tube taken out. We won't really know how successful this has been until the tube comes out and the tear duct stays open. I don't think I've ever felt so sick and nervous before! Luckily David didn't have classes this morning, so he was able to come with me and keep me sane.
Lydia's still recovering and probably will be for the next day or so. She's very groggy and fussy. And a little more cuddly than usual, so I like that part! The surgery center was so good with her. They even gave her a cute duck stuffed animal with a Baybrook Surgical Center T-shirt on. The doctor's report was that the tube was more challenging to put in than usual. There was a large obstruction in her tear duct, she's guessing scar tissue, that was easy for the probe to go through , but wasn't a big enough hole for tears to actually drain through (thus the reason why all the other procedures didn't work). She was able to get the tube in successfully, however with more blood loss than is usual. She felt that the procedure would be successful overall though. We'll find out for sure in a few months. Lydia did swallow quite a bit of blood and that caused some nausea after she woke up, no fun! She's got a lovely cotton swab in her nose attached to some string that she amazingly hasn't pulled out yet and a couple stitches inside her nose that will dissolve in a few days. But she seems to be doing well now. She's taking a much needed nap! I think I need one too! Thank you for everyone's love and prayers! I know our Heavenly Father is listening! We love you!

The nurses even put Lydia's shoe on the duck while she rested! So cute!


And this picture was taken a few days ago during a walk on the beach (where else?). I got a new jogging stroller the other day... well, I should say Lydia got one with her birthday money! And, just in case anyone's thinking, the double does not mean that I am pregnant! I just figured I might as well get a double now rather than needing another one in a couple years.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Poor little Lydia! We'll keep her in our prayers! Smart thinking about the jogging stroller--we need to get a double stroller now.

Stormie said...

Glad its over. Hope it works! Check out our blog for our scare today. Glad you guys are ok. I don't know if I'll come tomorrow or not. We'll see.

Lindsay said...

So glad to hear things went well!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers